Bhoo thatha's Blogspot

Search my older Blog

Friday, January 22, 2010

GANDHIJI

Gandhiji And III Class


Gandhiji used to travel in train by III class.Once, someone enquired: ‘Bapu, why do you travel by III class?’



Gandhiji replied: ‘Because there is no IV class!’



He was such a ready wit and humble person.



Gandhiji And Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan

Gandhiji used to gently slap a child whom he loved. One day Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan noticed this and said to Gandhiji: ‘Bapu, you slap the one you love,

but you have never slapped me. This means you do not love me.’



Gandhiji looked at the huge body of Ghaffar Khan and said: ‘I do love you but I do not slap you because if you return in the same coin, then I will be crushed.’ All around had a good laugh.



The Gita And The Bible

An Englishman came to Gandhiji and said: ‘I have read the Bhagavad Gita and like it.’



Gandhiji responded by saying: ‘I like it too.’



The man added that he liked the Gita better than the Bible.



Gandhiji said: ‘I read the Bible and like it too.’



The Englishman then said: ‘Since I find the Gita better than the Bible, I would like to convert to Hinduism.’



Gandhiji thought a while and said: ‘I think you have not understood the Bible well. Since you are not a good Christian, how can you be a good Hindu?



It is therefore better that you first become a good Christian. If you succeed in doing this, you will become a good human being. And if you do so, then you will not only be a good Christian, but a good Hindu, a good Muslim and a good Jew as well. The walls of narrow, separate religions within your heart will then break away.’



This shows Gandhiji’s understanding of true religion, unity of all religions and his broad-mindedness.

No comments: